Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Time at Work vs Time at Home

Well, just got done working another 12+hr work day. Been getting more of those lately. One thing that I've noticed in life is that we seem to spend more and more time at work as we get older, mostly because our share of responsibilities is growing as we grow with companies.

As I am sure many of you have heard me preaching in the past, is it really a good thing that we spend so much time at work, just to come home at the end of the day and be disgusted with how the day was spent. Now I know we all don't dislike our jobs, but at least in my case I am happy to have the job in the area that I live in, but that being said there are too many wrongs compared to the rights.

So, I decided to do some quick, basic math. Below is what I've come up with:
  • 10hr work days 5x a week = 50hrs a week
  • 50hrs a week = 200hrs a month
  • 200hrs a month = 2400hrs a year
  • Take away for let's say 5 weeks of vacation a year = 200hrs
  • You end up with = 2200hrs
  • Then add in those random times called in or called when at home we'll say approx. = 100hrs
  • Total = 2300 hrs spent at work a year.
Now, let's look at time spent at home/doing something other then our career/work and not sleeping:
  • 6hrs a night after work 5 work days = 30hrs a week.
  • 16hrs a day for the weekend x2 days = 32hrs a week.
  • 30hrs a week + 32hrs on weekends = 62hrs a week.
  • 62hrs a week = 248hrs a month
  • 248hrs a month = 2976hrs a year doing something other then being at our place of business.
So I finish us up with:
  • We have a total of 5,176 hours for one year.
  • 2200 hours at work / 5,176 total hours = 42.5%
  • 2976 hours at home / 5176 total hours = 57.5%
First off, yes I know, this is a very rough display and is not at all completely accurate at least in my case I am sure I spend more time@work then I put on this example. And it doesn't include holidays but this does at least give us ball park figures to work with.

So, if I am spending roughly 42.5% of a year at work. I sure as heck should be doing something to be sure that it's worth it. Yes, a paycheck is very important. No disputing that, but at what point of my life did I let go of the fact that there is more to life then just a job. I do try to spend the 57.5% of my free time having fun and doing things I enjoy doing. But as we all know that time is being gobbled up constantly as well doing home repairs, working on bills, etc.

I'm not ungrateful to have a job, and it's gotten me where I am today. But when I see the time spent doing my job...well I guess I want to look back when I am older and not just say that I spent all that time trying to just get by in life. I want to feel like I've really accomplished something. Not just at home or with a family, but accomplished something in my career because it is a huge part of my life. Of all of our lives. And how happy we are with our careers effects us in so many ways including our family, friends, and many other aspects of our personal lives.

I guess this is just something I've been thinking of but I would like to hear your thoughts as well. Let me know what your thinking on this subject.

5 comments:

John Myers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John Myers said...

Does your company sell stock? If it does maybe we could all get together and start buying their stock. Then when we control 51% of the company between us, we sell all our stock to you for a six pack of beer each. Then when you control the company, you can give us "work at home jobs" with salaries and benefits. I'd have the free time to do the work, but people like Jason who has a full time job could log on to your Dunder Mifflin account and get some of your work done on there. After a while we'll start a Myrtle Beach branch and buy one of the house that's for sale in Litchfield to be the local office. You can just turn one of the rooms into and office and then the company can rent that office from you for $1000 a month. Then we buy some Toughbooks, a couple of water prof phones, and a big canoe. On days the weather is nice, we forward the office calls to the phones and take the Toughbooks and take the canoe down marsh to the beach and work from there on a folding table under an umbrella. We could also get a little bass boat with a motor for the days that the tide isn't right for paddling. Um for that mater we could just start our own company and do this, and screw the rest of them.

AJ said...

@John

That sounds like one hell of an idea to me ;)

I would def. like the canoe part.

Shaun Hurley said...

Did you fall into the GAP?

AJ said...

@Shamrockhoax

It feels like it. I was sleepy and aggravated when I wrote this one :)