Wednesday, December 10, 2008

A particular teacher's view of Linux in our schools

I was quickly looking through some of my daily readers and found an interesting tidbit of a letter written from a teacher to the founder of Helios on Slashdot .


"Mr. Starks, I am sure you strongly believe in what you are doing but I cannot either support your efforts or allow them to happen in my classroom. At this point, I am not sure what you are doing is legal. No software is free and spreading that misconception is harmful. ... This is a world where Windows runs on virtually every computer and putting on a carnival show for an operating system is not helping these children at all. I am sure if you contacted Microsoft, they would be more than happy to supply you with copies of an older version of Windows and that way, your computers would actually be of service to those receiving them..."

Here is a direct link to the original blog on Helios

Not at all surprising, but definitely sad. I agree that the child doesn't need to be handing out the CD's in fashion that might disrupt class. But this teacher needs to catch up a bit on things in this world.

I don't believe every teacher needs to know how to use Linux at this point. But I do believe that if a teacher doesn't know much about it they prob. need to leave it up to someone that does to explain it to them before they go off the handle like that.

5 comments:

Matt said...

Gah. This story makes me mad. bah!

AJ said...

@Matt

I hear you bro. At first I thought it was just funny. But then I got to thinking how many teachers there prob. are out there with this type of mentality.

John Myers said...

Dude you know if we had brought a laptop and did the same thing in Belpre in the 7th or 8th grade every teacher except Tice and Markoch would have had a shit fit. Hell the computer teacher was scared of the shit I could do and all I did was make hidden directories on floppys and play Jason's C+ programs. Educational facilities never teach you how new things, all they do is teach you how to be a cog for the machine.

Matt said...

@John

You're right about that. There's the odd teacher here and there that's really in it to guide kids while they're learning, but most teachers are just clocking in till retirement.

AJ said...

@John & Matt
I remember back in the day when they were first putting the Apple's in the classroom's. Those teachers looked at those things in bewilderment. They were prob. like "what kind of witch craft is this?" lol

Seriously though, at least it's good to know that there are people out there trying to help get kids involved. Though Windows still is the majority for desktop's, it'll be much easier for kids to be able to get into IT positions with a strong background of more then just Windows right from the start.